I hate the thought that in someone else's hands that a dress such as this which still has plenty of years and life left in it could be destined for the bin. But vintage for me is also about rescuing, restyling and reinventing so pieces can continued to be enjoyed. So with only one back tie, I got on with the job of taking it off and converting that little old back tie into an elasticised "Alice" band.
No real tutorial pictures as this all happened on the fly but ever so simple. I simply made sure the inch and half wide tie was cut and had an opening at each end. Being a girls dress I made sure by a quick test on my sons head that there would be enough fabric to go around the head bar an inch or two at the base of the head. I poked the ends on the tie in just enough to give a tidy hem with no stray threads and with a few inches of elastic poked it into each opened side neatly and in a few seconds flat I whipped it back and forth through the sewing machine for strength and I was done.
Thanks Cohen for being still just for a second to be my model, although slightly unwillingly.
Now I have a dress (stock dress) with a little added value so to speak. As for the dress itself and the alteration of the sleeves, it can still be styled gorgeously with a belt and worn in warmer and cooler months by layering long sleeve tees underneath in complimentary colours to the dresses pattern.