So I don't like using the word "resolutions" when we are talking about the start of a new year. It's an ingrained thing within many, that with the dawn of a new year we look for a fresh start or a do over of things from the previous year. The words "New Years Resolutions" conjure up angst for many people about what happens if they fail or don't achieve the desired outcome they had declared to all. I personally prefer to work more organically with things in my life. For me life, it's patterns, routines and moods can change at any given time, and therefore a resolution seems so narrow focused for someone like me who always has things whirring in my head that I want to do.
Last year was an awesome year both personally and professionally for me in actualising some of my dreams. Some plans in 2013 had to be shifted around, reworked and shook up like nothing else to make them happen, but in all we got there in the end. Oh and let's face it there were also things that just didn't happen (even though I tried), but hey that's just life.
This year 2014, I'm doing what I do all the time (and not just because it's the start of a new year) and I'm throwing around all sorts of ideas, goals and thoughts. I'm squelching it all up in my little head and I'm just going to throw myself at things win or lose again and see what happens. I took that approach last year with the attitude of what's the worse that could happen, and look where it got me! So it can't hurt to do the same, don't you think?
What am I throwing around on the personal, blog and business front:
- Getting back to doing yoga when timing permits around Fraser's needs.
- Do something for myself every day.
- Do more non-blog or business reading.
- Drink more water, I used to be so good and I have fallen off the wagon so, so badly.
- Make my body a priority, it's been through a hell of a journey the last six years.
- More time with friends and relatives, I'm tired of "everyone being busy" it's time to make time.
- Meeting and catching up more with some of the best blogging babes.
- To have one on one time with each of my kids.
- Make the kids laugh about something silly every day.
- Date my husband more even if it's dinner and movie at home when the kids are in bed.
- Take the kids to the movies, they've never been.
- More weekend day trips and adventures.....which is also code for treasure hunting.
- More craft.
- More home improvements and decorating.
- Start a newsletter.
- Attend ProBlogger Conference, this one will depend on location and Fraser and other logistics.
- Streamline blog functions and features.
- Try to maintain some semblance of an editorial calender with my blogging.
- Authentically grow my readership.
- Do more markets and try other markets.
- Get crazy busy listing in my Etsy store and filling my shop to the rafters with goodies.
- Seek out other "in store" displays like my florist display where I can sell my wares.
- Developing a hire option for some of my wares for photo shoots, weddings and events.
- AND simply just entertain any other crazy idea I have and see what happens.......what do I have to lose?
I know you'll laugh and think I'm crazy but all that listed above is just a little bit of what is whirring around in my head. My mind never stops and is constantly formulating plans and ideas (just ask Ben he thinks I'm grade A nuts), hence why the word "resolution" and I have issue with one another. I do my best when I'm attacking the things I feel most strongly about working on at any given time. It's not a method for everyone but it's certainly a method that works for me. Besides with young children who are constantly changing and growing, my personal plans have always got to be flexible to change around their changing needs.
At the end of the day I know I will make the things I want bad enough work, even if there are challenges. I proved it to myself last year and I'm determined to do it again this year.
Labels: Business, Personal