Last week I was popping in on Erica over at Recycled Fashion who posted about a style challenge she would be taking part in to commence on the 1st of February in conjunction with Vinnies (St Vincent de Paul Society) Victoria called #newyearnewstyle.
The brief is to style yourself for 14 days with only 10 items of clothing that have been thrifted (the addition of accessories are free rein from your own collections). I made commented on Erica's post and said that it sounded like fun and I'd like to join, and I would take a look at my wardrobe and see what I came up with.
I must admit I did forget about the challenge, what with all of the the back to school stuff here last week and getting back into routines and supporting Sarah in her transition to Prep. So it was only this morning that I was reminded of the style challenge when Erica popped up in my Facebook feed.
Bugger I thought, I didn't get around to sorting myself out with ten clothing pieces to rework over 14 days (because I was going to go out and thrift ten new to me pieces me), and since I was already dressed from the school run this morning I thought I had wasted a day in the challenge and my clothing choices today. Anyway I quickly stopped that silly talk, and thought I can do this, so what Trudie you're already wearing three entirely thrifted clothing pieces, just go into that wardrobe of yours and choose another seven pieces that have been thrifted.
So here I am today, this is me today.
Had I remembered to sort out my ten pieces before today I may not have chosen all of these pieces, but it's okay.....I guess I've thrown myself an extra challenge.
Here are the remaining seven pieces I have selected on the fly before I put Fraser down for a nap. So between what I'm wearing today and these other seven pieces pictured, I will be reworking combinations with accessories I already own.
The break down of what I have selected and why is this:
- Denim skirt: because I live on the Gold Coast and it's hot with temperatures later this week, predicted to hit the high 30's, so I'm going to need this.
- 1980's Wrap Maxi Skirt with Ditsy Print: florals I love florals and believe them to be a staple that can mix with so many other things, the skirt also catches the breeze and is airy
- 1970's Embroidered Dark Blue Blouse: it's cotton and the colours in the embroidery can be picked up so easily for other styling combinations
- Polka Dot Tee: because I love patterns
- Green Slogan Tee: because I like green and needed to add more colour to my selection before I got depressed.
- Cobalt blue pleated singlet top: it's nice, can be dressed up or down and it's floaty and catches a bit of breeze.
- Ditsy Print Maxi Summer Dress: because it's cotton and makes me feel nice.
- Yellow T-Shirt Tank Dress: a cotton blend again that I think I can rework with some of the other pieces and accessories I have.
- Waistcoat / Vest: because I wear vests a lot and they're great for layering and adding interest to outfits especially if you're repeating similar looks.
- Sequin Midi Top: probably seems like a crazy choice, but I think adding a bit of bling to combinations over the next 14 days will be fun.
So there we go, I have a rough idea in my head of some of the combinations I will be wearing and documenting to share here and on social media. I'm excited to be playing along, wish me luck I hope I can it off with just these ten pieces without any questionable style days.
Labels: Community, Personal Style